Ventlinge church

Ventlinge church

Ventlinge cemetery surrounds the church on the slope of the western land castle, just east of road 136 and not far from Grönhögen. From the cemetery you can see Kalmarsund to the west.

The area between the cemetery and the country road consists of a small park that also contains the memorial grove. In the east, just outside the cemetery wall, arable land extends. South of the cemetery is the old teacher's residence.

The Church
Ventlinge church was built in the first half of the 1100th century. The church at this time consisted of a towerless church in the Romanesque style and was dedicated to Saint Laurentius.

The church had a rectangular nave and a lower and narrower chancel, which ended in a semicircular apse to the east. The tower was built around the year 1200.

Over the years, the church underwent many minor changes. In 1812, extensive repairs and additions were made, and the church then lost its medieval character.

The chancel and apse were demolished and the nave was built. The sacristy was built on the eastern gable. The rebuilding into a modern hall church was led by Johan Petersson from Kalmar.

A lantern designed by JA Wileius was erected in 1825 by Håkan Göth, from Seby, and the church bell was moved up in the tower. An armory was established in the medieval defense tower in 1880 based on a drawing by Otto August Mankell. The altarpiece is from the 1700th century.

Restorations and repairs have been carried out in 1925, -52, -68, -84 and 1999.

Inside the church is a baptismal font from the beginning of the 1200th century.

The church was recently closed for several years for an extensive renovation. It was newly inaugurated in the fall of 2014 and is now a modern church where, among other things, they use the projection of, for example, hymns directly on the church wall.



Memory grove
A memorial grove was created and inaugurated in 1998. It was created just outside and next to the cemetery wall to the west in the so-called church park.

In the fund against the wall, rhododendrons are planted and around the stone itself with the word "minneslund" engraved, the blue creeper grows. Otherwise, a layer hedge has been planted that delimits the grove to the north and south, and limestone slabs have been laid in front of the planting.

Buildings
Outside the cemetery in the southeast is a wooden building that houses storage and a toilet for the public.

Diverse
An older grave guard is uncovered over the south portal and on the cemetery wall are a couple of fragments with inscriptions probably from the early 1800th century.

In addition to a burial mound just south of the church, the cemetery today lacks older burial custodians. The tomb belongs to Jacob Brunnerus and his wife Anna Elisabeth Ruther. In the 1700th century, Brunnerus was vicar in Ventlinge and Å's parishes. He died in 1794, one year after his wife.

Not far from the church's southern entrance, the fiddler Gotthard Sjöman has been buried since 1952. Among other things, he has written "Kruspolska, Kvarnpolska" and "Brudmarsch till father".

The poet Anna Rydstedt is buried on the south side of the church. On her graveside there is a beautiful line "I was also born and grown up for the one thing, to be Anna in the world"