Södra Möckleby church

Södra Möckleby church

The church and cemetery have a central location in Södra Möckleby church village.

The country road towards Ottenby in the south and Färjestaden in the north passes west of the church. Along the country road are some business premises including a grocery store.

To the west of the cemetery is the "Church Park", which was laid out in 1957 after a drawing by Kalmar County's Southern Household Society. The area was previously part of the school's area and was then called Skolplan.

The first school building, which was built in 1850, still stands southwest of the church. The house has been heavily remodeled, among other things, in connection with it being put into use as a municipal building when Södra Möckleby became the center of Ottenby municipality. The building now houses a library and an open preschool. There used to be a couple of additional school buildings on Skolplan which were demolished in 1965.

North of the cemetery there has been a parish home since 1989 and since 1991 also a pastor's office. Surrounding the cemetery to the east and south are residential plots with single-family houses of various ages. The rectory was formerly located in Gårdstorp north of Södra Möckleby church village but was sold when a new rectory was built in the church village in the 1960s. Nor is this any longer in the parish's possession. From 1938 and a number of years onwards, Södra Möckleby belonged to Kastlösa pastorate, which also included Smedby parish. Nowadays, Södra Möckleby is the center of the South Öland pastorate and is part of the Södra Öland church community.

Since the 1800th century, Södra Möckleby has been greatly affected by various industrial activities with alum mills, lime burning and cement factories as the most prominent examples. The good harbor location, Degerham, and suitable raw material deposits made the place ideal.

Öland's Alunbruk or Södra Bruket gave rise to an entire mill community with a factory, workers' housing, a manor house and an agricultural operation. As an example, Alunbruket had 1822 employees in 322, of which 116 were children. Ölands Cement AB was created in 1886 and in 1920 had around 350 employees.

The mills had ups and downs in different periods. Between the years 1867 and 1926, around 400 parishioners emigrated to America. It was a large percentage of the parish's population and most of them were young people who had difficulty finding livelihood opportunities at home. The various mills in Degerhamn have strongly marked the history of the town and the parish.

The Church
During the Middle Ages, perhaps as early as the 1100th century, a church was built in Södra Möckleby. The first known depictions show a church with a strong tower with a pitched roof, a rectangular nave with a gabled roof and a slightly lower chancel with a semicircular apse.

After protracted discussions during the 1800th century, everything was demolished except the tower, and in 1851 a new church was ready. The drawings were drawn up by Johan Fredrik Åbom and the builder was Peter Isberg. The church now became a period-typical neoclassical church with a light and airy church room.

The church underwent major interior renovations in 1909 and 1951. During the 1951 works, the chancel windows were blocked up. In 1982, a reconstruction was made of the altarpiece that existed in the church in the 1700th century with reuse of older parts and additions with new ones.

The exterior of the church has been restored several times. The biggest change is the blocking of the chancel windows and the cladding of the lantern with sheet metal.

Memory grove
The memory grove is located in the eastern part of block 3. The site is small and surrounded by cypress hedges. A limestone slab with the word "MINNESLUND" marks the site along with a planting area with shrubs and perennials. There is also a sofa and stand for flowers.

Buildings
The mortuary has facades that are plastered with alcohol and discolored in white. The roof is covered with two-cupped brick, the door and attic panels are painted brown. There are windows to the west, three narrow ones next to each other. There is a ventilation hatch to the east and an entrance to the south. Above the door section there is a smooth plastered marking in the facade, as if there had previously been an opening there.

Diverse
The old limestone guards in the museum display are worn and overgrown with mosses and lichens. The inscriptions are therefore difficult to read. In the right light, however, the texts still appear.

In recent years, attempts have been made to create new areas for urn graves in different parts of the cemetery. In blocks 1-4, single rows of urn graves have been planned on the grave map. Not many of these sites have yet been put into use.