Sandby church

Sandby church

In Sandby, stone church construction began in the 1100th century. Then naves and towers were built in the east.

During the 1200th century, the west tower was added, which made Sandby church one of Öland's gabled churches. In 1782, a major renovation of the medieval church was carried out, which included the demolition of the east tower.

At the beginning of the 1800th century, the proposal to build a joint church for Gårdby and Sandby parishes was raised. However, the proposal was not heard, and both parishes came instead to rebuild their medieval churches.

In Sandby, work began in 1860. The drawings for the new church were made by JF Åbom and the builders were Peter Isberg and his son Isak from Algutsrum. The new church was built south of the medieval church. Among other things, the baptismal font from the 1100th-1200th centuries was transferred to the new church. The new church is marked both interior and exterior by neoclassical features.

The last major renovation was carried out in 1992.

Memory grove
Minneslunden was established in 1999 west of block B. The site is surrounded to the south and north by tuja hedges. In the northern part stands a simple wooden cross. In front of it there are flower beds, a surface covered with limestone where you can place candles and a holder for flower vases. In the south there is a bench.

Diverse
To the east of the church chancel is the Patriarch's Cross, which was found in 1957. The cross is marked with edged limestone chips that are slightly raised above the grass. Nobody today knows the history of the cross.

In the southeast corner of the cemetery is a small hill. The temporary forge built in connection with the church building in 1860 is said to have been located here. the blacksmith August Klinth. He and several other family members are buried in the Klinth hill in the southwest corner of the cemetery.

South of block B is a limestone walled well and a birdbath made of the same material. In block B's northeast corner stands a sun visor on a bricked-up limestone pillar.

Source: Kalmar County Museum