Persnäs church
Persnäs church

Persnäs church

Persnäs parish is located in northern Öland between the parishes of Föra and Källa. The church village is a few kilometers east of road 136. The church is surrounded by farmland, but the parish's main industry has been quarrying for a long time.

To the west and south of the church are the remains of old quarries. The stonemason traditions can also be seen through the many limestone barns, remains of scrap mills, etc. Stone is still quarried in the western parts of the parish today.
Probably already during the first half of the 1100th century, a long house and a narrow chancel were built in stone. The west tower and the east tower were probably added shortly after each other during the end of the 1100th century and the beginning of the 1200th century. The cross arms of the church were built in the middle of the 1200th century. The armory to the south and a material shed to the north were probably added shortly afterwards. During the late Middle Ages, several changes were made to the interior of the church. The sacristy was added in 1650-62 in the angle between the east tower and the north cross arm. Throughout the 1600th and 1700th centuries, the congregation had substantial overhead costs for the maintenance of the church. They also made some costly changes.

An organ was installed in the interior and a gallery was built in 1756-59. In the middle of the 1800th century, the church was considered so old that they started collecting money to build a new one. The old church had also become cramped when the population of the parish grew during the 1800th century. Drawings were compiled and sent to the superintendent's office. The matter was handled by the architect CG Blom-Carlsson, who instead recommended a rebuilding of the old church and drew up a new proposal. According to the proposal, the cross arms would be extended. Work on the new cross arms began in 1856. The following year, when the old cross arms began to be demolished, the east tower collapsed. Rebuilding the tower would be too costly and the congregation was instead given permission to build a new chancel in the east. Originally, the sacristy was arranged in the eastern transept behind the altar, but it was moved in 1959 to the northern transept.


Buildings

In line with the cemetery wall to the west is the mortuary. When the building was originally erected is not known. Until 1966, when the building was renovated, it was used as storage and a makeshift morgue. During the renovation, a cremation room and better storage were provided. It is still used today as a storage room but also as a morgue. The facade is plastered with smooth surfaces and painted white. The roof is covered with brick and joinery painted black. Outside the cemetery's northwest corner is a newly built guardhouse with staff quarters and a garage. The building has standing gray painted wooden panels, white joinery and a black tin roof.


Diverse

Until 1848, there were several old gravestones in the cemetery. Many were used for the floor of the new church in 1857. One of the most talked about slabs is Sigmund from Horn's grave slab from 1341. Another well-known grave slab is the Diger tile, which is located as a stepping stone at the church's southern entrance. According to legend, there were no more survivors in the parish of Persnäs after the Digger Death in the 1300th century than those who were given a place on the Digerflisan. To the south of the mortuary there are several older grave guards set up along the entire southern part of the cemetery wall. Here you can find, among other things, several old limestone crosses and some cast iron crosses.