Norra Möckleby church

Norra Möckleby church

Norra Möckleby church is located on the eastern side of Öland along the road that runs from Föra in the north to Ottenby in the south

The church is located in the northern part of the village, where today there are both older buildings and residential areas. To the south of the church is the former schoolhouse that was built in 1896. At an angle with this building is the cantor's residence that was built in 1927-28. To the east of the church is the parsonage, which has today been sold to private individuals.

The Church
A church was built in N Möckleby during the latter part of the 1100th century. It consisted of naves and a tower to the west. Around the year 1200, a tower was also erected in the east and the church was transformed into a nave church. The sacristy in the north was added around the year 1300.

Several alterations and additions were then made until the current church was built in 1824. Then the east tower and nave were demolished. A new longhouse designed by the architect JW Gerss was erected. The west tower was added with a lantern and a portal from the medieval nave was transferred to the tower.

This serves today as the west entrance of the church. Apart from the tower, which has an archaic character, the church is both interior and exterior built in neoclassical style with large round-arched windows, ceiling with wooden barrel vaults and decorative elements typical of the style. During the 1900th century, the church underwent four major renovations in 1922-23, 1954-55, 1969 and 1988.



Memory grove
The memory grove is located in the southeast corner of the cemetery. It is bounded by a tuja hedge that is open to the northwest. The place is marked by a limestone cross with the text minneslund. This stands in a planting with Ölandstok, creeper and summer flowers. There are also stands for flower vases and a cabinet for candles. Against the tuja hedge is a bench. In the planting and by the hedge there are several low light posts.

Buildings
In the northeast corner of the cemetery is a stone building. The facade is plastered and discolored in white. The roof is covered with red brick. In the south there are two windows and two wooden doors. The latter are painted black like other carpentry. Inside the building, the floor is covered with old burial slabs. The building is used today as a storage and tool shed.

In the southern part of block A there is a bell tower. In this hangs a clock that has been taken out of use. It was cast in 1643 by Gert Meyer. The clock is today cracked, but the congregation thought it had a beautiful decoration and therefore wanted to preserve it. Architect Nils Carlgren designed the bell tower that was erected in the early 1960s. It consists of two pillars of masonry limestone and is covered by a wooden tent roof.

Diverse
Older grave guards that were removed from the cemetery are partly set up to the east of the church, partly to the south-east of the cemetery.

Remains of older brick pans marked WNS can be found in the cemetery wall. These come from Wärnanäs brickworks, which were in operation at the end of the 1700th century until the turn of the century in 1900. A large part of their production was shipped to Öland. You can still see remains of the brickworks north of the Oxenstiernska building on Värnanäs.