Gräsgård church

Gräsgård church

Gräsgård's church is located on the south-eastern side of Öland. Like several of the churches on the eastern side of the island, Gräsgård's church is located on the Eastern Land Castle.

This consists of dikes formed during the various stages of development that the Baltic Sea has gone through.

The country road runs on the Eastern land castle. Next to this is the church site in Gräsgård, roughly in the middle of the parish. The church has been here since the early Middle Ages.

In the parish there are prehistoric remains from the Stone-Bronze and Iron Ages. Most prominent, however, are the traces from the Iron Age, including the form of Eketorp's castle.

Immediately south of the church and the cemetery is the former parsonage, which since 1991 is no longer in the possession of the congregation.

Until 2006, there was a school building about a hundred meters south of the church, but it then burned to the ground. What remains is the former small school building from 1926. The church and cemetery are otherwise surrounded by several farms with active agriculture.

The Church
The church has a medieval origin which today is partially preserved in the tower and the eastern wall of the choir. In the armory and the first floor of the tower, several medieval arches are visible.

The exterior of the church has preserved much of the expression it received in connection with the renovation in 1884. The design of the tower spire has been simplified, but has still preserved its neo-Gothic character.

Interiorly, the 1900th century renovations have meant that the style renovation from 1884 has slowly been peeled off. The replacement of benches in 1952-53 and the gradual removal of the mural are the biggest changes.

Today, the experience of the church room is also affected by the coloring that the church received during the renovation in 1980-81.

Memory grove
Minneslunden is located on the extended part in the west and was added in the early 1990s. Previously, the area had been used as a ceremony site.

The site is bordered by high thuja hedges and adorned by a high, almost monumental, limestone cross from the early 1960s.

In the north-east corner of the churchyard stands a building which was moved there in 1814. It was built from material from an old parsonage cottage or material shed and was made high enough to accommodate the parish storehouse on the upper floor.

The house is plastered and painted white under a gable roof with two-cupped clay bricks.

Along the northern cemetery wall are many tombstones that have been removed from their original places.

These are mainly limestone wards from the late 1800th century and smaller black granite wards from the early 1900th century. These cares are not so common anymore out in the cemetery. There is therefore a great cultural-historical value in the fact that the caretakers are still available to view for visitors to the cemetery.

Also closest to the church, on the south side, are two limestone wards from the late 1870s in a museum setting.