The church was built at the end of the 1100th century as an Öland apse church with choir portal and tower in the west.
During the High Middle Ages, a cross arm was added to the south and an extended chancel with a straight end. The cross arm was fitted with an elegant portal typical of the period. Remains of medieval mural paintings are preserved on the north wall. The west tower has several vaulted floors and has a transverse ground plan. A high-placed doorway testifies to its profane function as a warehouse. The choir portal also shows merchants and the guild. The church was badly damaged by fire during the war in 1677 and reinforcement work was carried out to prevent the tower from collapsing. A strong brick heel in the north under the stand is a trace of this. In the masonry work, broken roof tiles were used as filling material. The brick was made at the Petri brickworks outside Lübeck.