Segerstad's church

Segerstad's church

Segerstad's church and cemetery are located on the east coast of southern Öland next to the eastern highway in the southern part of Nedra Segerstad village.

Arable, grazing and alvar land spreads out all around. South of the cemetery is the former vicarage. Just north of the cemetery next to the country road is the old wooden school, built in 1848.

The Church
Segerstad's medieval church was the smallest on Öland, only 16 meters long. The foundation walls of the small east tower church with a straight east wall built in the 1100th century are under the floor of today's church. A pillar of finely cut Gotland limestone supported its vault. The capital of the column is now under the baptismal font, while other parts can be found in the plinth of the sundial outside in the cemetery.

The current church is a traditional hall church with large round-arched windows and wooden barrel vaults. The tower in the west is crowned by an octagonal lantern. The sacristy is located in the east.

The church was built in 1839 by Peter Isberg freely according to drawings by RV Brouhn. After the inauguration in October 1843, apart from an exterior restoration in 1949-51, only minor changes were made.

The 1800th century church was equipped with an altar pulpit. The basket sculpted in 1765 by Clas Wahlberg was taken from the old church. When the church was renovated in 1949, the pulpit was moved to the north side of the choir and a new altar was placed inside the altar ring.

Some of the inventory has remained since the 1100th century. The altarpiece was painted by Einar Forseth, in 1950, and there is a painting with Öland's motif painted by the "sun painter" Per Ekström inside the church.

In the northwest corner of the cemetery is an old whitewashed stone building with a tiled roof. Previously, it was used as a mortuary, now only as a storage room.

Outside the churchyard wall to the south is a smaller wooden building which is used as storage and where there is also a toilet for the public.

At the entrance to the cemetery in the west stands a limestone slab with the inscription: "Wanderingsman think about the end Pastor" It was erected by the then pastor Sven Sahlsten. Through the carving on the slab, Sahlsten wanted to give the walker a reminder of his mortality and thereby bring the idea of ​​piety to life.

A sun visor stands in the cemetery south of the church. It is partly built of capitals from the old church. When it was manufactured is unknown.

In the north-east corner of the cemetery, lined up along the wall, there are wards that have been taken out of use.

The artist Per Ekström was born in Segerstad and died at Sjöbacken in Mörbylånga in 1935, at the age of 91. He managed to become widely famous and was awarded, for example, a gold medal at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1889. He went down in literary history as the painter Selldén in August Strindberg's "The Red Room". He is also said to have been the one who got Strindberg to start painting.

The wood artist Johan August Gustafsson (1852-1932) lived his entire life in the parish of Segerstad in southeastern Öland. He was a farmer and a sailor, but above all he was an artist, sculptor and cabinet maker. Materials he found in the lake and on the beach he used to sculpt. The sea and boats were an important part of his life. He made many ship paintings and ship models. The farm he used was right next to the Baltic Sea, which inspired him and provided material for the artworks. When ships were wrecked, he got wood for his figures. His most famous sculpture is "King Pharaoh with entourage". Two carved chairs, from 1916, can be found at the front of the choir of the church. As his last will, he wrote in his will that the collection was to be displayed and cared for in his hometown for a small fee.